Sunday, May 15, 2005

Gaz's Gap Year.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Gaz. Welcome to my blog. In it, you will find my (hopefully) detailed account of my Gap year.

I'm a 29 year old lawyer living in New York City. I'm not satisfied with my career, but I don't currently have any obligations to anyone but myself (and my student loan companies, but that's a topic for another post). So I decided that I'm going to give myself a great present for my 30th birthday: I'm going to see the world. It's going to be a year-long trip on the skinniest of shoestring budgets - hostels and backpacks all the way.

Taking a Gap year is a widespread tradition outside of the U.S., especially among Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis. Of course, I'm going to be about 10 years older than most Gap year travellers. But that doesn't really bother me. I travelled around Europe by myself for a month 4 years ago, and had an amazing time. This trip promises to be even better.

So now, I have to prepare. Save money. Figure out what to do about all my possessions and my lease. Determine a general itinerary. Get a plane ticket. Get visas and vaccinations. Get supplies. Get in shape. And research, research, research.

I'll be filling (again, hopefully) this blog with updates on my preparations for the next 8 months. Once I leave (January 2006), I'll be updating from the road with pictures and stories about my travels. I welcome your comments, ideas, and suggestions to make my Gap year an amazing one.

1 comment:

Kel said...

I'm 31 and planning to do six months of travel (and hopefully more) beginning in 2006, so you are not the only older gap traveler out there. I'm just jealous that I am too old to get a work visa for NZ. I have friends in OZ and will be there in the first few months of the new year, so I'll be following along to see where you will be too, maybe we will cross paths. My blog is at www.lostinplace.net