Monday, May 16, 2005

What to do with my apartment?

One of the biggest issues I will have to deal with over the next few months is my apartment. I'm currently in a two-year lease (which began April 1, 2005), so I have two options: subletting or losing the apartment.

Subletting would allow me to have an apartment to come back to. There are a couple of problems with the subletting option, though: 1) I don't know if my building will give me a big hassle if I want to sublet (it's quite possible that they would try to prohibit me from subletting); and 2) if I sublet, what happens if I want to extend my trip? What happens if I happen to get a job teaching English in Asia? What happens if I end up in a relationship with someone halfway around the world? Additionally, it might be beneficial for me to return to a cheaper living situation, rather than paying almost $1500 a month as soon as I return from travelling. Finally, if I sublet, I'm still responsible for the apartment, even though I'll be on the other side of the world. I dread the idea of having to deal with any problems with the sublessor or landlord while I'm away.

Losing the apartment has its problems as well. Most likely, I will end up losing my deposit (or at least most of it). That's $1433 that I could have used as part of my travel budget. I also would have to sell most of my stuff, and put anything I didn't or couldn't sell into storage.

Tough decision.

No comments: