Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Singapore: June 5-7

I went to Orchard Road, the main shopping district, where I found a “Visitor Hospitality Lounge” that they set up for the Great Singapore Sale, where I was able to sit for 15 minutes in an awesome massage chair in the AC, with a guy bringing me free drinks. Now that's a nice thing after walking around for 4 hours. Tried to go to Borders to read a bit and have coffee, but you can’t do both here! No unpaid merchandise in the café area. Stupid Singapore. I eventually got a hazelnut latte at a Starbucks, and I have to admit that it was delicious. I just needed a little Western coffee... I miss real coffee.

Had chicken murtabak for lunch at the Wisma Atria food court. So tasty. Sort of like an Indian quesadilla with curry. Eventually headed back to the hostel, did a little internet research on travel to Kuala Lumpur and Taman Negara, made a reservation for a package trip from KL to Taman Negara, then decided to take the luxury coach to KL. Headed out to find the Copthorne Orchid hotel – took the MRT when I should have taken the bus (MRT just doubled back on itself), then walked a long way to find out that they don’t take credit cards… Walked all the way back to the MRT station, got cash, headed back on the bus. Got tickets for Thursday morning, then caught the bus back to Little India.

Went to Sentosa Island on the 7th. Meh. Decent beach, tons of Singaporean teens playing beach volleyball. Had a tasty smoothie from New Zealand Natural. Took the MRT to the cable car – waste of money. Walked by the Sentosa Merlion, then down the beach, then to the Southernmost Point in continental Asia. Woo. Then a nature walk, then back to the hostel.

No comments: