Monday, July 24, 2006

Back to Tokyo: June 25-26

And now I'm almost a month behind the times! Ok, here's an update from the Japan days:

June 25: a train ride to Shinjuku followed by a long walk underground towards the Park Hyatt. The surprise was perfect. As we walked by, I said “ooh, the Park Hyatt! this place is amazing. Let’s go look inside!” So Marina agreed, and we headed up to the entrance. Then the porters tried to take our bags, and Marina said “no, no, we’re not staying here!”, and I said “yes, we are.” She was flabbergasted, and remained so for a while. An attendant took us up to the 41st floor, where we were seated at a desk, and a very friendly person took our info while chatting amiably with us. Then he took our bags and led us up to our room on the 47th floor. The room was spacious by Tokyo standards, with a huge king-size bed, a 30 inch plasma tv, and a gigantic bathroom with separate shower stall and soaking tub. We both showered off the travel funk, then headed out to go to Harajuku and Roppongi. Harajuku is the teen shopping area, tons of goth and punk stores that Marina loved. Then subway to Roppongi, which was pretty sleazy. Although we did get some good pork chops there.

Next day (the 26th) it was raining. We relaxed. Marina felt very ill, unfortunately. I got some breakfast at Excelsior Caffe downstairs. Then we walked (mostly underground) to Shinjuku station. Picked up a donut from Doughnut Plant (the one from the L.E.S.!), then took the train to Tokyo station, where I sent Marina off to the airport. A few minutes later, I boarded my Shinkansen to Hiroshima.

1 comment:

Sarah Ignacio said...

Giving sometime in reading blogs like this is kinda a waste of time for me as a busy person but I don’t want to outdated on such matters about hostel laundry service so I really admire you for your passion in writing.