Saturday, July 29, 2006

Singapore Once More: July 3-4


July 3. While waiting in Tokyo airport, some ass destroyed my Mac power adapter. At least he gave me cash to get a new one (although if I had known how much an adapter cost I would have gotten more money from him). Arrived at Singapore Airport at 2 am. Slept on airport chairs until 6 am. Then took the MRT to my hostel (The Hive), waited a couple hours, and thankfully when they let me in they actually gave me a bed immediately! Woo! But I ended up not sleeping then. Ate some toast, had some instant coffee, then headed out to walk to Orchard road. Saw a couple cool temples along the way – the temples in Singapore are SO colorful. Almost overly so.

Eventually made it to Orchard Road. Decided to go see Superman Returns on the huge digital screen there. It was a pretty good movie – Brandon Routh didn’t seem like he’d live up to the role in the beginning, but he grows on you. Spacey was fantastic as Luthor. Kate Bosworth sucked as Lois Lane. The crowd was great too – no talking, even though there were a bunch of teens and kids there!

After the movie, headed to the Mac store to get a new adapter. Ended up buying the international adapter kit, because that was about $60 (which is how much the guy gave me). A full new adapter would have cost $100!! Crazy.

Walked back, stopping along the way at the Newton Food Center – a hawker center which had just been redone – nice tile roof, well-designed, full of food. I had some Chilli Crab that attacked me. Seriously, it jumped up about a foot off the plate and spewed sauce and crabmeat everywhere, including all over me. Luckily it didn’t hit the woman sitting near me! Actually, the woman had too much fruit at the end of her meal, so she gave me some papaya. Mmm… papaya. The crab, incidentally, was delicious. Difficult to eat, as crabs so often are, but delicious. Spicy and sweet.

Continued back to the hostel, checked email, ate again ( I think – that afternoon is a bit of a blur – oh, actually, I remember trying to find my fruit guy, but he was closed. Damn fruit guy), then sleep. Next morning, more toast, plus leftover papaya, then MRT to the airport. Then Singapore airlines to Bangkok. Nice, short flight with a good meal and wine.

No comments: